Lemon Chicken [Chinese Takeaway Style]!

Ever since I was little, my favourite thing to order from Chinese restaurants and takeaways was lemon chicken. I may have moved on more recently to aromatic duck but lemon chicken will always hold a special place in my heart and I really crave it from time to time. 

And yes, I know that lemon chicken is in no way a traditional Chinese dish. I don't think the majority of dishes you can get from Chinese restaurants/takeaways in the UK are actually eaten in China, but still. They are delicious. If not completely inauthentic. 


A while ago I was really craving lemon chicken and thought I'd give it a shot. It didn't turn out as well as I thought it would... but it was still delicious. The pictures from the recipe I used look amazing but I kind of messed up a bit...

The recipe calls for you to fry the chicken in batches so they all individually get really crisp but I couldn't be bothered to do that so I just dumped all the chicken into the pan at once. Bad idea. All the chicken clumped together so as I separated them, all the batter came off and they ended up pretty much batter-less. Which was unfortunate. 


I also realised that I probably shouldn't have used all the sauce that the recipe makes. I ended up pretty much drowning my chicken in it, when really it's just supposed to cover it slightly so it makes it sticky and gooey. Having the batter on the chicken probably would have helped with that problem.

But now I'll know for my next attempt! (1) Be more patient and take the time to cook the chicken in batches and (2) reserve some of the sauce for another time.

Learn from my mistakes guys and make this recipe the right way and you'll have delicious Chinese takeaway style lemon chicken!

Comments

Popular Posts