Red Kidney Bean Curry

Shout out to all the University students going through the dissertation struggles right now! I'm right there with you.

I did the standard procrastination procedure and completely tidied out my desk so I could get to work writing my conclusion and going over the rest of my essay. And there's no way I could work on my dissertation without multiple cups of tea and an entire packet of biscuits... Nice biscuits, in case you were wondering. For someone who doesn't like coconut, I really love these coconut-flavoured biscuits...


During a stressful time like this, you really end up craving hearty, warming meals - such as this red kidney bean curry. Another recipe from my favourite cook book at the moment [Recipes From An Indian Kitchen]!

Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tsp ground coriander 
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
800g canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp palm sugar
500ml warm water
1 tsp salt

Method:
  1.  Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the cumin seeds. When they stop crackling, add the onions and fry until they are soft
  2. Add the ginger and garlic, fry for 2 minutes. Add the green chillies, tomatoes, ground coriander, crumin, turmeric and garam masala and stir fry for 12-15 minutes.
  3. Add the red kidney beans, palm sugar, water and salt and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the beans are soft.


Again, this recipe is so easy to make. And again, if your cupboard is well stocked this meal literally costs nothing. Perfect for cash-strapped students! I only had to buy a tin of chopped tomatoes (I used those instead of 2 large tomatoes) and 2 tins of red kidney beans. All the rest of the stuff I had in my cupboard! It pays to invest in your spices!

For anyone out there going through a stressful time or just desiring a really warming, slightly spicy and filling meal, this dish is perfect for you! Takes hardly any effort to make, is really quick and is just what you need to calm down and relax.

Let me know if you like it!

Comments

Popular Posts